Clarification to Breed Registry Acceptance
As we have grown, the issue of defining acceptable pure breeds has become more and more of an issue. Officially, NADD has no concern over the breeds that jump with us, but, as we love to offer the Breed rankings, we are then required to set some level of standards as to the accepted breeds.
We are making this change very clear and concise to avoid past, present and future issues.
NADD will only recognize breeds from the following National Pure Breed Registries.
AKC - American Kennel Club
CKC - Canadian Kennel Club
UKC - United Kennel Club
If your dog is a breed that is NOT recognized by one of these 3 Registries, then you have the following options: You can apply to have your dog verified by one of the Breed Registration programs available from the various registries.
- AKC-American Kennel Club
- Purebred Alternative Listing Program AKC PAL This is for dogs of pure breed to be recognized as that breed.
- Canine Partners Program Canine Partners - This is for "other-mixed" dogs to be recognized as an All American Dog by AKC. This is not for a dog to be recognized as any other breed such as Labrador, German Shepherd Dog, etc.
- CKC-Canadian Kennel CLub
- Performance Event Number. This is for a pure breed recognized by CKC or AKC. Same as the AKC PAL number. Click here for the application.
- Canine Companion Number. Click here for the policy on the Canine Companion Number. Click here for the application.
- UKC- United Kennel CLub
- Performance Listing Performance Listing. Click here for the UKC Performance application.
- Other Specific / Parent Breed Registries - Your dog does not have to be registered by one of the above breed registries BUT it does have to be a breed that is recognized by one the the 3 listed above. The dog must have a registration number with a Specific / Parent Breed Registry.
- Example: Australian Shepherd - It can be verified by an ASCA number.
- Example: Miniature Australian Shepherd is not recognized by the AKC, CKC or UKC. It is called a Miniature American Shepherd. If you have a Miniature Australian Shepherd with a ASDR, MASCA, etc. number you will be listed & verified as a Miniature American Shepherd. Per the National Breed Registries it is the same breed.
- Example: Labradoodle is not a recognized breed by the AKC, CKC, or UKC. It will be recognized as Other-Mixed or under one of the 3 options from the National Breed Registries above. NADD does not recognize any breeds that are a cross breed.
If you have not verified your breed as per above and listed your dog a breed such as a Labrador, you will not be eligible for any breed rankings. You will be only eligible in the National Rankings. ONLY verified breeds will be eligible for any breed ranking. Example: If you are #1 as a Labrador Retriever and are not verified, the #2 dog will get receive the #1 ranking at the end of the NADD season.
NADD will be actively reviewing all breed registrations to verify that all dog are properly designated. If you do not see a breed listed please contact NADD.